Terms and Conditions
“I/me/my” means Quandary Genealogy of The Quandary, 100 Church Road, Quarndon, Derby, DE22 5JA, UK. I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under the Data Protection Act, registration reference no. ZA278617
“You/Your” means the client.
Your information and instructions
- Your contact and family information is treated as strictly confidential and will not be provided to any other person or organization without your permission. If you wish me to communicate with anyone other than you regarding your family research, I will first require your written permission to do so.
- I may from time to time ask your permission to publish extracts from my research on my website and social media sites.
- Before beginning any research I will confirm your instructions in writing and my understanding of any specific research requests before commencing the research.
- If you provide details of any previous research it is your responsibility to ensure its accuracy to avoid any research being inadvertently repeated, unless you specifically instruct me to check its accuracy. Any effort expended during the course of the research which leads to information you already know, or have found yourself but have not disclosed prior to research starting, will still be billed.
- You understand that I cannot guarantee I will be able to find any particular person(s), family or other information and that I cannot predict how successful a search will be, if at all. If a search is unsuccessful I reserve the right to charge for my time in conducting such a search.
My commitment to you
- I offer family history research of the highest quality, delivered in such a way as to ensure clients are happy with the service they receive, are aware of progress and feel involved at every stage and you will be kept informed as to my progress at regular intervals.
- I will not exceed the time commissioned by you without prior agreement.
- I undertake to report the findings of the research with detailed sources of the information obtained, including unsuccessful search details. Where research is not successful I will provide information as to the avenues that have been explored.
- Paid time includes research, analysis, drawing charts and reporting time, as well as time spent communicating with you by telephone and/or email.
- If in the course of my research it becomes clear that research has reached an insurmountable hurdle I may offer a partial refund of the payment received. This will depend on the length of time spent on the project before coming to this conclusion.
- In the case it becomes clear that research will not take as long as initially expected or research cannot progress as anticipated any unused pre-paid research hours will be refunded to the client.
- It may be necessary on some projects for me to instruct other researchers as a necessity, either because of the distance to the area in which the records are held or because of a need for a particular subject specialist. In these cases researchers will be carefully selected based on their specialisms and quality of work and you will be consulted prior to them being instructed.
- I remain the primary contact on all projects and oversee all research conducted under the banner of Quandary Genealogy.
- As a member of the Register of Qualified Genealogists (RQG), I abide by their Professional Code which can be found online at: www.qualifiedgenealogists.org/the-professional-code.
- For all Family Tree packages, on receipt of instructions an invoice will be issued and I require full payment in advance of any research to secure a research slot.
- For a Family History Project, Family History Report and Research Support, on receipt of instructions an estimate will be provided along with an invoice for a down payment of £100 which I require in advance of the research starting. Invoices will then be provided at appropriate stages and where the fee is likely to exceed the estimate, I will provide an interim report and further estimate for approval before further work is undertaken.
- A payment plan can be agreed at any stage of the research being carried out but the final report and any supporting documentation will not be sent to you until full payment is received. Statements will be issued quarterly.
- The cost of Documents such as birth certificates, is in addition to my costs – see below.
- Where travel is required to Archive centres , I reserve the right to charge additional costs of travel at the rate of 45p per mile.
- All invoices should be paid within twenty eight days.
- Documents are supplied at cost price and no documents will be purchased without prior agreement with you. Where a budget has been agreed, documents will be purchased without your prior agreement unless to do so would exceed the budget, in which case they will not be purchased without your prior agreement.
- Where copies of documents are required and a definite cost of these cannot be determined upfront, an invoice will be issued.
Likelihood of Success
- It should be noted that it is sometimes not possible to trace a family back as far as expected or to find the expected information in a particular document. Research time includes time spent searching with a negative outcome. However, all research may be considered positive if it is viewed that a particular document or direction has been “ruled out”. Any negative outcomes will be included in my report.
- You have the right to cancel your agreement with me at any time during the fourteen working days immediately following the day that you either post the copy of the commisioning letter duly signed, or respond by email. It is in your interests that I start work as soon as possible unless we have agreed otherwise. Please, note, therefore, that by signing and returning the letter or confirming by email, you authorise me to start work immediately. This means if you later choose to exercise your right to cancel, you must do so in writing by completing the Cancellation Form attached and returning it to Quandary Genealogy at email@example.com. You will be liable to pay for the work I have done up to the date you cancel. The amount due will be deducted from any payment you have made to me and any balance remaining will be returned to you within 14 days of the date of cancellation.
- I reserve the right to decline cases where I consider the likelihood of success to be low, e.g. if the only information were to be a starting point of “his name was John Smith and he was born in the UK in about 1900”.
- If payment is not made under the terms of this agreement and/or any invoice submitted to you, I reserve the right to cancel your instructions and discontinue work on your behalf. All outstanding payments will however remain outstanding.
- Failure to pay may result in dispute resolution and/or court proceedings to recover any outstanding fees, which may in themselves result in further costs being payable by you.
- If I have not received a signed copy of the letter or a reply by email within 14 days I shall assume that you do not wish to proceed, and will take no further action.
Limitation of Liability
- Documents are provided and interpreted on an “as is” basis and I do not accept responsibility for any errors in those documents.
- My liability for any actual, incidental, indirect or consequential loss or damage howsoever caused, is limited to the value of the contract.
- The services of any third party instructed to assist in the research process are subject to these terms and conditions. If they require you to agree to their own terms and conditions, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood them and you agree that any recourse for dissatisfaction or problems with any third party research will be sought from the third party provider.
- Any documents prepared by me in the process of my research, including any charts, reports, transcriptions and translations remain my copyright and should not be published without my prior consent.
- Any material which has been digitised by and obtained from websites, remains the copyright of the individual website and will be fully acknowledged in my work. It should not be further published.
- Birth, Marriage and/or Death certificates provided by the relevant Register Office of England and Wales, Scotland or Ireland, either in pdf digital format or certified copies of originals, will be obtained by me acting as your agent and always remain in your ownership. Certificates remain the copyright of the Crown and will be fully acknowledged in my work.
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
- By agreeing to these terms and conditions you agree to me holding the personal details of you and your family (as are necessary for the purpose of research) and as I am required to retain by law for a minimum period of 5 years.
- In the unlikely event of you not being 100% happy with the research received I will endeavour to address any issues as quickly as possible and agree a recompense where appropriate. If I am unable to resolve your complaint satisfactorily I would refer you to the RQG’s Resolution Procedure which can be found at: https://www.qualifiedgenealogists.org/resolution.
- The law applicable to this agreement shall be the law of England & Wales.
- Any notices should be addressed to and served on Quandary Genealogy of The Quandary, 100 Church Road, Quarndon, Derby, DE22 5JA, UK.
- If, for reasons of injury or ill health rendering me unable to work, I am unable to complete your instructions, I will provide a full report of work carried out to date along with full supporting information and documentation. I will also provide my written consent for such report, information and documentation to be provided to an alternative genealogist/family historian of your choosing. You agree to pay for all work completed up to that date and where pre-payment is made, any balance, after deduction for the work carried out, the balance will be returned within 14 days.
- If, for reasons of my death, I am unable to complete your instructions, my Executors will provide a copy of the work carried out to date along with full supporting information and documentation as they are able to ascertain from my research records. In those circumstances these terms and conditions provide my written consent for such information and documentation to be provided to an alternative genealogist/family historian of your choosing. You agree to pay for all work completed up to that date and where pre-payment is made, any balance, after deduction for the work carried out, the balance will be returned as soon as ever possible, subject to the laws of probate.
- These terms and conditions are based on a template created by the Register of Qualified Genealogists.
I, [client’s name and address to be inserted] hereby cancel my instructions to Quandary Genealogy for [details of work which was to be carried out in brief].
I understand that I will be responsible for any work carried out to the date of this cancellation form and agree to payment of any invoice Quandary Genealogy sent me in this respect under their usual payment terms.
Last revised 12 October 2019